Fisheries & Aquaculture.

The global population is predicted to exceed 9.8 billion by 2050, putting additional strain on existing food resources. The aquaculture business has the potential to play a critical role in meeting the world's growing protein need.

Fisheries & Aquaculture.

2nd largest aquaculture country in the world accounting for 7.96% of global production

Fueling the Future of Global Protein Demand

India is the world's third largest fish producer, with inland fisheries and aquaculture accounting for more than 65% of total production. In terms of employment, the sector employs around 28 million people in India, primarily from marginalised and vulnerable populations. In 2021–2022, the fishing sector earned $ 7.76 billion in export revenues. 

The Department of Fisheries, Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry, and Dairy is implementing a flagship scheme called "Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMMSY)—A scheme to bring about a Blue Revolution through sustainable and responsible development of the fishing sector in India" with the highest ever investment of INR 20,050 crore for a five-year period beginning in fiscal year 2020-21 and ending in fiscal year 2024-25 in all States/Union Territories (UTs).

India's leading export destinations for fish and fish products are China, the United States, Southeast Asia, the European Union, and Japan are India's leading export destinations for fish and fish products.

The fisheries sector has shown an impressive double-digit 10.12% average annual growth rate, with a record fish output of 161.87 lakh tonnes in FY 2021-22, with inland fisheries contributing 76% of fish production and marine fisheries contributing the remaining 24% in FY 2020. 

From 0.75 MMT in 1950-51 to 16.19 MMT in 2021-22, India's fish production has increased around 22X. At least 28 million fishermen and fish farmers are employed at the primary level in the fisheries and aquaculture sectors. 

  • With $7.76 billion in exports in fiscal years 2021-22, China is the fourth-largest fish exporting country. 
  • During fiscal years 20 and 21st, inland fishing production will total 11.25 million tonnes. 
  • In fiscal years 20-21, the output of marine fish will be 3.48 MMT. 
  • Ornamental fishing exports totaled $4.54 million in fiscal year 2021–2022. 
  • Thailand, the UAE, Singapore, Hong Kong, China, Jordan, and Taiwan are the top export destinations for ornamental fish. 
  • Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra, Kerala, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Himachal Pradesh, and West Bengal have important breeding units for ornamental fish. 

There are a total of 1548 fish landing stations. 

  • 675 cold storages with a capacity of 430,381.27 MT 45 chilled storages with a capacity of 24,194.80 MT 92 dry fish storages with a capacity of 38,436.92 MT 
  • fishing ports Under the Sagarmala Programme, the Ministry has sanctioned 17 fishing harbour projects worth INR 1740.26 crore. 
  • India's marine product exports reached an all-time high in fiscal year 2021-22, increasing by more than 30% to $7.76 billion.